The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Senior Manager Community Affairs & Projects
Job Number: GGM-2020-XND-01.
Number of Positions: 01
Works For: Vice President: Sustainability
Master’s Degree or equivalent postgraduate qualifications in Sociology, Community Development, other Social/Development Sciences or other relevant fields
At least 10 years of relevant experiences in social performance or Sustainability portfolio preferably in mining industry or related industries
Purpose of the Role:
To manage the Local Community relations. Sustainable Development and Land Access and tenements functions at GGM by ensuring an effective system to maintain social license to operate for GGML and AngloGold Ashanti.
Main or Key Accountabilities:
Community Relations & Sustainable Development
• Developing and implementing a comprehensive Community Engagement Strategy which secures the long-term good will of the host community and other relevant stakeholders.
• Planning, organizing, directing and evaluating the Community Sustainable Development (CSD) programs: including participation in advisory boards, coordinating development of a Community Sustainable Development (CSD) or Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) plan, establishing community relations forums
• Communicating Company goals, objectives and projects to the Local Government Authorities and Communities and advising the Vice President Sustainability and the Management of any changes/developments In the Community and other stakeholders’ expectations
• Playing a leading role in relevant Industry committees. Government working parties and community groups to ensure that GGM’s interests are represented and protected
• Promoting a favorable public image of company by leading a comprehensive stakeholder’s engagement program with host community, government and non-governmental organizations, and business associates
• Representing the Company at events such as the Regional Consultative Council (RCC), Geita District/Town Council meetings, and other Regional and District level forums or other significant events.
• Collaborating with the Government Authorities in promoting community safety including road safety through co¬sponsorship of education campaigns such as the annual National Road Safety Week
• Advising Vice President Sustainability and Managing Director on Company donations/sponsorships to eligible institutions/groups as per donations policy
• Advising the District and Regional Consultative Forums on identification of sustainable social investment projects for the benefit of the host community in line with Company Policies and Standards as well as National and Local Development Strategies.
• Working in collaboration with the PR & Communications section leader, to maintain a positive Company image and publicity by building partnerships with the local, national and international media, supplying information for articles on operational activities/achievements, environment, social responsibility and other significant initiatives
• Support the Vice President Sustainability in driving special mega media coverage of strategic events and partnership including the Kilimanjaro Climb Challenge against HIV/AIDS which is the most important PR event for GGM at national level
Land Access & Tenements
• Developing, implementing and monitor programmes for securing GGML land and tenement rights to ensure GGM complies with the international standards and any applicable legislations
• Actively managing land access, compensation and resettlement programs in compliance to laws of the united republic and by aligning to AngloGold Ashanti’s relevant policies, standard and procedures and other international best practices.
• Consulting with the Vice President: Sustainability and all departments, government agencies both at local and national level on land access needs or problems, determining scope of requirements and making recommendations for regulatory and social license-based solutions
• Develop and Implement a Comprehensive Strategy for Engagement, Management and Support of Artisanal and Small-Scale Miners (ASM) in accordance with the relevant AngloGold Ashanti’s Policies and procedures and by aligning to existing and prospective Government programs for ASM.
Employee Accountabilities in Role
• Commit your best endeavors and full capability to the work assigned to you by your manager.
• Advise your manager if you do not understand the work they have assigned to you, or if the assignment does not fit with your knowledge of the circumstances, current skills or available time and resources.
• Advise your manager of any situations or conditions that could create obstacles to, or opportunities for, the work of the managerial team or company.
• Demonstrate work behaviors consistent with the company values and work within prescribed boundaries, including required behaviors, company policies, standards, procedures and legislation requirements.
• Disclose timely information to your manager when accountability cannot be met within limits or can be met with less time or resources than planned.
Managerial Roles Accountabilities and Authorities
• The accountability for the outputs and working behaviors of your subordinates.
• The accountability to build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing those outputs.
• The accountability for exercising effective managerial leadership (including exercising the Managerial Leadership Practices outlined below).
• The authority to veto the appointment of a proposed new subordinate.
• The authority to assign tasks to a subordinate
• The authority to review, recognize and recommend reward for the performance of a subordinate.
• The authority to initiate removal of a subordinate from role by due process.
• Ensuring the quality of leadership being exercised by immediate subordinate managers.
• Establishing and sustaining SoR cross functional working relationships between specific roles.
• Assessing the Current Potential Capability of SoRs and maintaining a talent pool.
• Mentoring SoRs regarding career development
• Determining successors for immediate subordinate roles.
• Recruitment of SoRs by selecting a list of candidates from which an immediate subordinate manager may make a choice for filling a specific role.
Role Boundaries and Authorities
• The Senior Community & Projects Manager will have accountability for the effective use of people, resources, and assets associated with, area of operation Contractors, Suppliers and Projects.
• The specific boundary limits in each area will be defined by agreement and in conjunction with the Vice President Sustainability and the Managing Director
• Variances to assigned resources i.e. total budget dollars and total budgeted headcount must be reviewed prior to committing additional resources.
• Any system change with a potential material impact the area of accountability must be reviewed with the Vice President: Sustainability and the Managing Director and the collateral team prior to implementation to minimize unintended consequences.
• Organizational structure changes such as adding or removing roles and changes to role design at the immediate subordinate level can only be carried out with the concurrence of the Vice President: Sustainability, as well as the Managing Director in his capacity as the MoR.
• Any breaches to the Code of Conduct and ethics must be reported to the VP Sustainability and the MD. (Gift and Hospitality process must be followed).
• Must have Good written and oral communication skills in English language.
• To be able to show initiative and co-ordination skills and to interact within all Mining Personnel.
• Proven and demonstrated knowledge of the strategic business role of Communication
• Average understanding and mastery of rules, procedures and ethical compliance requirements for public communication (Country and Internationally
• Computer literate with proficiency in MS Office, graphics, and others relevant to the job Professional photographic skills
• Experience in Social Media content development.
• Knowledge of design applications i.e. PageMaker, photoshop etc.
• Strong work ethic and excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to cooperate effectively with all levels of management and staff
• Demonstrated ability to perform essential functions of the position
Mode of Application:
Application cover letter (Subject should be: Community Engagement Superintendent and/or quote the job number), detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees, to be forwarded to below address. You will be required to bring original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
Senior Manager Human Resources,
Geita Gold Mining Ltd,
Email: [email protected]
NB: Internal applicants may submit applications to Departmental Senior HR Officer. All internal applications must be endorsed by the applicant’s head of department.
Application letters should reach the above on or before 21st January 2020 at 17:30 hr.s . Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews