Protection Officers – Community based (2) – NATIONAL POSITION
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization which provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights.
Danish Refugee Council is a humanitarian actor in Tanzania. Since 2015, as part of the Burundian Refugee Response in Tanzania, DRC works in the sectors of camp management, community based protection, livelihoods, protections, WASH, General Food Distributions and shelter/ small infrastructure in Nduta & Mtendeli camps. Starting from January, 2020, DRC will be implementing Camp management, Community based protection and Livelihoods projects in Nyarugusu refugee camp.
Name of the Position: – Protection Officer – Community based
Reports to: – Protection Team Leader – community based
Supervise: – Incentive Workers
Duty Station: – Nyarugusu Refugee Camp
Start date: 02-01-2020
Duration: 12 months
The Protection Officer – community based under the management and supervision of the Protection Team Leaders – Community based and in close collaboration with the camp-based government and UNHCR coordination bodies will be responsible for direct implementation of community based activities in the camp.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
- Lead in the establishment and capacity building of active and efficient refugee leadership structures in consultation with MHA and UNHCR as well as other partners in the camp where relevant
- Lead in the development and facilitation of a two-way information flow between refugees and key stakeholders through the dissemination, collection and analysis of information
- Supervise elections and re-elections of community leaders and ensure that all communities within the camp have a leadership structure in place and that is functional
- Monitor and solve issues related to community leaders’ behavior and follow up on reports of misconduct/ breach of code of conduct by the community leaders
- Ensure that sectoral committees are in place and coordinate monthly meetings between committees and partners
- Manage the mobile Help desks and inter-agency help desk activities and responsible for analyzing and writing reports on feedback collected through help desks
- Ensure the correct management of the referral pathway and support the team to troubleshoot individual cases where problems arise
- Ensure timely response is provided to refugees’ complaints and concerns.
- Ensure accuracy and confidentiality of data and information about complaints and feedback given by refugees and ensure that information is stored safely.
- Work in close collaboration with refugee stakeholders (Community Leaders, Elders, and Representatives of Committees…) to ensure their input and participation in community-based activities.
- Ensure that AGD and Protection principles are mainstreamed into work with camp leadership, committees and communities.
- Ensure work plans are prepared and implemented timely
- Act as a focal point for community engagement and messaging from humanitarian agencies to refugees in the camp
- Support Protection Team Leader [community-based] to write monthly reports for local authorities and donors
- Develop, support and manage a team of refugee incentive workers
- Any other tasks assigned by Protection Team Leader [community-based] and Protection Manager
- Bachelor Degree in social sciences, political science, development, law or other related fields;
- At least 2-year experience in working in refugee context
- At least 1-year work experience in implementing community-based protection activities
- Previous work experience in international NGO
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility;
- Flexibility in working hours when needed;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well;
- Ability to engage with community members in an open manner, maintain confidentiality and respect;
- Ability to communicate and write reports in English;
- Language ability in Kiha, Kirundi and French considered an advantage.
The position is open to Tanzanian citizens only.
- Terms of Employment:
- Salary and conditions in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for National – Staff in Tanzania and based on UNHCR Tanzania’s salary scale for IP National Staff.
Interested candidates should submit their application including cover letter and updated CV in English only online, No hardcopy application will be accepted
Deadline for applications is 22nd December 2019
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply irrespective of origin, gender or age.
For further information about Danish Refugee Council, please go to www.drc.ngo