Job Title: Program Manager, Agriculture
Location: Tanzania Full-time
Critical Requirement: Masters in agronomy, Soil Science or equivalent work experience
Report to: Country Director
Location: Masasi, Tanzania with possibility of travel to other regions within Tanzania.
Term: Minimum 2-year commitment
Language Requirement: Fluency in English, French will be an added advantage
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise with operations in Mali, Senegal and Tanzania. We have pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and agricultural training to increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. Our North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty. Learn more from myAgro’s founder and CEO here.
About the Program Manager, Agriculture Role
At myAgro you will work harder and grow more than you dreamed possible. We are currently seeking entrepreneurial, passionate individuals outraged with the status quo – ready to disrupt the system to support smallholder farmers in Tanzania. The agricultural Manager will be based in Masasi with regular travel to the field.
Program Managers are leaders and high performers on myAgro’s team, focused on execution of a diverse program portfolio and management of staff. Program Managers independently and effectively carry out 5-8 projects, both field and office-based. You will operate in a fast-paced environment, juggling competing priorities and deadlines, while effectively leading and developing a team of talented Program Associates, office staff and/or field staff. You will invest in building your team’s capacity to work yourself out of a job.
In this role, you will independently set the direction and approach to your work through proactively designing solutions to complex organizational challenges. Program Managers understand the budget constraints, the necessity to build for scale, and the broad strategic implications of their work.
The Program Manager, Agriculture role is critical to ensuring that we are delivering the highest quality of inputs and services possible to our farmers. With our ambitious plans to increase our impact with farmers, this is a crucial role to the team. For the right candidate, there are opportunities in the future to expand the role regionally.
Responsibilities for the role include but are not limited to the following:
- Agriculture Programs
- Design and implement agriculture projects and trainings to promote – successful harvest for farmers. Ensure quality control of agricultural trials and core program activities.
Select crops, seed varieties, soils, pesticides and sprayers. Ensure that inputs comply with legal requirements.
- Determine training needs, design and ensure implementation of trainings and Research and Development
- Trial new crops, seed varieties, and soils, conduct agricultural research and write research reports for current and proposed agriculture activities.
- Analyze past season harvest to propose changes in product offerings. External Partners
- Maintain positive relationships with partners related to agriculture information and input sourcing.
Mentor and manage the local agriculture field teams, including creating extensive training materials, developing work plans, reviewing work deliverables, and providing value-added feedback
- Stay abreast of agricultural trends, innovations, changing conditions
- A passion for the mission, vision and values of myAgro
- A masters in an agronomy discipline with preferably 5 years work experience or a Bachelors of Science in Agriculture with 7years of equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience conducting and monitoring field trials or a minimum of 2 years of farming experience
- Analytical and detail oriented, able to make decisions based on quantitative and qualitative assessments
- Excellent project management skills, organizational aptitude, delegation and follow-up, takes ownership –work experience and prior management experience – preferably including background in building and expanding programs. Please also note that the ability to work with the speed and flexibility of a start-up versus an academic environment is crucial to this role.
Strong verbal communication skills with an ability to translate technical agriculture verbiage into accessible language
A- bility to identify talent, train and cultivate employees
- Ability to balance financial sustainability with social impact goals
- English proficiency written and oral, and at least one other national language
- Flexible to changing priorities; work under pressure especially in a start-up context
- Coachable, growth oriented and open to new ways of doing things
- Creative and versatile approach to problem-solving; solution-oriented
How to apply
If you think you are the right candidate we are looking for, please submit your CV along with a cover letter to Email: email@example.com by 09th January, 2020.
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.