Tanzania Program Associate
We are seeking an exceptional candidate with 5+ years of consulting, project management or entrepreneurial experience and a demonstrated passion for poverty alleviation.
One Acre Fund is developing new business units to push innovation in retail, finance and marketing in rural communities. One of these units is the Seed Adoption Campaign, which aims to build access and demand for improved seed across Tanzania.
Improved seed can generate significant increases in yield and farm productivity, with minimal behaviour change required. However, adoption of improved seed is lower than 25% in many Sub-Saharan countries. Increasing adoption of improved seed in Tanzania represents millions of dollars of potential impact for smallholder
Seed-related innovations are one of the organisation’s highest priority areas for generating impact for farmers and the Seed Adoption Campaign will continue to grow rapidly in both work scope and team size, serving over 70,000 farmers in the 2019-20 farming season. The goal for most innovations like this is to scale them to reach huge populations of smallholder farmers, generating as much impact as possible.
We are seeking exceptional individuals to join this team. Strong candidates would be managing region-wide and nationwide ventures to innovate within and expand the Seed Adoption Campaign, supporting farmers in new markets.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Ready the programme for expansion to reach our 2020/21 season goal to double our reach to 160k+ farmers, helping us to reach 780k+ farmers by 2023/24
• Develop innovations to increase impact for our farmers. You will be responsible for developing and implementing operational improvements as well as identifying new products and programme innovations.
• Design trials and data collection plans for new innovations/products and effectively evaluate impact through data analysis.
• Collaborate with internal teams to build programme solutions such as improved delivery models, better government cooperation or new product trials.
• Establish and develop collaborations with external stakeholders such as executives from seed companies, local distributors and government officials, to explore potential partnerships that improve our service delivery to farmers
• Ensure efficient financial management by monitoring and forecasting budgets for expansion and other programme innovations. Help to deliver more impact for farmers through efficient use of resources.
• Build a high performing programme and team of 100+ field staff, by identifying and executing innovations to boost operational performance as well as managing professional development and hiring.
• Pilot the programme in a new region for OAF, understanding local differences and challenges and building solutions to meet them
• Monitor and adapt the project execution of key field activities as well as new trials and innovations to meet programme goals
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Specific qualifications include, but are not limited to:
We are seeking an exceptional candidate with 5+ years of consulting, project management or entrepreneurial experience and a demonstrated passion for poverty alleviation. Candidates who match the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
• Strong management experience of large projects including budgetary management or successful entrepreneurial experience.
• Experience developing innovative ideas and opportunities. We are seeking someone who is able to contribute to operations and strategy development.
• Leadership experience at work or outside of work. Strong ability to work through others and manage a large team of 100+ staff.
• Proven relationship building and stakeholder management with public and private sector actors.
• Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humour, patience and a humble approach to serving smallholder farmers.
• Language: Fluency in English and Kiswahili required both written and oral
• No agriculture-specific experience required but advantageous
PREFERRED START DATE As soon as possible
JOB LOCATION Morogoro/Kilimanjaro/Tanga, Tanzania
COMPENSATION Commensurate with experience
DURATION Full-time job
BENEFITS Health insurance, paid time off
- Nafasi za Kazi Barrick- Bulyanhulu Gold Mine Ltd, Tuma Maombi Mapema
- Anahitajika Unguja Zone Operations Manager, Tuma Maombi Mapema
- Medical Officer Volunteer (2Positions Mbeya & Mwanza) Baylor College of Medicine
- Project Management Consultancy – Kasulu Tanzania, Tuma Maombi Mapema
- Communication Skills Consultancy – IRC Kibondo, Tuma Maombi Mapema
- Nafasi ya Kazi Regional Manager – Dodoma, Tuma Maombi Kabla ya Tarehe 9 April 2020
- Customer Experience Systems Manager – Vodacom Tanzania, Tuma Maombi Mapema
- Nafasi ya Kazi Project Manager – Brck, Tuma Maombi Kabla ya Tarehe 10 April 2020