Position: Laboratory Program Officer (4 Positions)
Reports to: Laboratory Program Manager
Location: Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital
HJFMRI-TZ seeks to hire self-motivated and talented Laboratory Program Officers. The Laboratory Program Officer’s key responsibilities will be to carry out day-to-day testing services and assisting with the implementation of the quality management system at the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital (MZRH)and other general and specialized Laboratories in the Southern Highlands Zone of Tanzania, as required. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical support to other laboratories in HJFMRI-supported facilities in the areas of clinical laboratory testing, quality management systems implementation and on-site staff training and mentorship. Special emphasis will be on PEPFARsupported activities. This position requires good laboratory basic knowledge and skills in applied Molecular Biology and Virology, Clinical Chemistry,Haematology, Flow-cytology, Serology, Microbiology and Mycobacteriology in addition to competency in medical laboratory science practice. Eligible candidates will be trained in specialized clinical laboratory tests offered at MZRH and other facilities supported by HJFMRI. As a Medical Laboratory Technologist/Scientist, you shall work as part of a team contributing to the PEPFAR goals and objectives of HJFMRI and the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital. This position reports directly to the HJFMRI Laboratory Program Manager and secondarily to the Regional Laboratory Coordinator in the assigned region, as required
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work at the Mbeya Referral Hospital Laboratory and other supported facilities as a Laboratory Technologist carrying out laboratory diagnostic and clinical monitoring tests including diagnostic Nucleic Acid PCR assays, Genotyping and Proteomics, Bacterial and Mycobacterial cultures, Clinical Chemistry analyses, Hematological tests and another duties as assigned by the laboratory manager.
• Provide mentorship and onsite training to staff in peripheral supported sites on performance of clinical laboratory tests, equipment use and maintenance, and implementation of laboratory quality management procedures.
• Follow written Standard Operating Procedures for every aspect of pre-analytic, analytic and postanalytic phases of the testing process in a laboratory.
• Ensure compliance to quality assurance standards based on recommendations from the Section
Supervisor and Laboratory Program Manager.
• Assist in the implementation of a quality management system for the MRH Laboratory and other
supported facilities. This includes development of Laboratory SOPS, corrective action documentation and other documents that are part of the quality assurance and management processes.
• Assist in the preparation and delivery of proficiency testing for EQA.
• Assist the section head institute in the departmental internal and external audits.
• Document all occurrences in the occurrence log and carry out corrective and preventive action.
• Contribute actively to departmental training programs as appropriate, and to the training of medical technologists within the locality national and international.
• Contribute to the goals and objectives of the HJFMRI (program review meeting, supportive supervision, data compilation) and partners’ activities.
Required Knowledge and Competencies:
The Laboratory Program Officers must be able to demonstrate the following:
• Ability to work independently, committed to implementing quality standards required of an ISO:
15189 accredited Laboratory in accordance with directives issued by the Section Supervisor.
• Candidates must be registered or eligible for registration with the Tanzanian Medical Laboratory Council.
• Certificate/proof of registration with The Health Laboratory Practitioner’s Council of Tanzania
• Knowledge and skills in Molecular Biology Manipulation processes such as Nucleic Acid Amplification and detection techniques
• Knowledge and skills in general microbiology laboratory procedures
• Knowledge and skills in general clinical chemistry, haematology, flow cytometry and serology laboratory procedures
• Knowledge and practical experience of use of Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and
Laboratory Quality Standards implementation.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
• Computer Skills including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point and MS Access packages.
• Be registered or eligible for registration with the Health Laboratory Technologists Council of Tanzania.
• A Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology/Sciences. A degree in Medical Laboratory Technology/Sciences will be an added advantage.
• Certified Health Laboratory practitioner is an added advantage.
Work Environment: Office setting , frequent local travels.
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer; women are highly encouraged to apply.
To be considered, applicants must send Cover letters and resumes by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable courier to the Human Resources Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya or transmitted by email to: [email protected] Applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birth place, or tribal and/or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment.” Hand delivery applications will not be accepted. Deadline for submission of the application is May 30th , 2019. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements as detailed in the job description below will not be considered.