Sense International (SI) is a disability specialist charity, partnering with local organisations in Bangladesh, India, Kenya, Nepal, Peru, Romania, Tanzania and Uganda. We are one of the world’s leading international organisations working for people with deafblindness/multi-sensory impairments (MSI) and their families. Our vision is of a world in which all people with deafblindness can be equal and active members of society. Sense International Tanzania (SI Tanzania) is a nationally registered NGO, delivering a range of education and health projects supporting people with deafblindness/MSI
We are looking for a Finance and Administration Officer for the following Job Description
Post:Finance and Administration Officer
Location:SI Tanzania in Dar es Salaam
Reports to: Country Director
Responsibility for: Driver, Office Assistant, and Interns and Volunteers supporting with financial and administrative duties.
Purpose: To provide financial and administrative support to the Country Director and when required to the wider Sense International teams in East Africa to ensure efficient implementation of Sense International programmes.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be responsible for all financial record keeping in SAGE and ensure the information is in line with Sense International Tanzania’s budgetary guidelines.
- Participate in and contribute to budgetary planning meetings.
- Ensure that all finances are properly administered and monitored in accordance with Sense International Tanzania’s Finance Manual.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Country Director and finance team at Sense International UK, including expenditure against budget and ensure the timely provision of financial information when requested, e.g. end of project.
- Prepare information and accurate forecasting for input into the budget process.
- Be responsible for tracking petty cash, keeping appropriate records, and maintaining reconciliations.
- Closely monitor the bank balance, maintain bank records, perform bank reconciliations, and be the contact person with the bank for all financial matters (e.g. changing names on signatures etc.) and act as an agent for bank transfers and withdrawals.
- Process and submit the monthly payroll, ensure all statutory deductions are accurate and paid in a timely manner, and perform other payroll duties as required.
- To provide financial management support to partners, e.g. helping them establish systems of bookkeeping and effective record keeping, and monitor partners to ensure compliance to the budget in line with donor regulations.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports and provide expenditure verification to Sense International UK and to donors on request.
- To execute all financial transactions to partners on a monthly basis, with the authorization of the Country Director.
- Be responsible for annual returns and audit reports to the relevant Government Ministry.
- Advise programme staff on adherence to financial procedures and support the Programme Funding Manager and Sense International UK on preparation of bids
- Be responsible for any internal financial audit systems in Tanzania, as required.
- Liaise and support the Sense International UK Finance team with any external audits for Tanzania, as required.
- To ensure that Sense International Tanzania complies with all the relevant statutory requirements, including compliance with laws and regulations governing companies and NGOs, and those governing employee rights and payment of taxes (TRA).
- Be responsible, in consultation with the Country Director, for the procurement of goods and services, such as computers, furniture, vehicles, Information Technology, consultancy work, office supplies and stationary, ensuring that appropriate quotes are obtained and that invoices are paid without delay.
- Renew in a timely way all insurance premiums that are due (including medical insurance, office equipment insurance, car insurance etc.) and make payment of utilities and bills, taking into account cost effectiveness and available budgets.
- To maintain an asset list (with serial numbers) and ensure safe custody of office assets, including computers, laptops, contents of the safe, petty cash, camera and vehicle.
- Maintain records to meet legal and tax requirements, and safeguard all governance documents such as articles, memoranda, resolutions. Be responsible for maintaining, and developing where necessary, the administration of office systems:
- Filing systems
- Records management
- Be responsible for dealing with day to day IT queries and some technical requests (liaising with appropriate IT support services).
- Ensure effective logistics for programme work, e.g. well maintained vehicle for field work, suitable environment and organisation of meetings with external entities, booking of flights for staff and other entities, etc.
- Perform general administrative duties; postage, ordering stationery, etc as required.
- To maintain the physical working environment of the Sense International Tanzania office, including safe upkeep and maintenance of office equipment.
- Be prepared to undertake any other duties within the role as required.
- Contribute to the implementation of SI Tanzania’s strategy in line with the Sense International global strategy.
- Ensure implementation of the Sense International Safeguarding system.
- To perform any other duties that may from time to time be assigned to him/her.
Qualifications and Experience
- Education to Degree standard or equivalent, in Commerce, Accounting and or Business Management or Business Administration
- Relevant or working towards financial management qualifications (ACCA or CPA desirable)
- Previous experience in financial and administrative operations, preferably in an NGO setting.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Relevant skills and knowledge in financial leadership and operational management.
- Excellent team working skills and the ability to contribute to effective strategic and operational decision making.
- Good interpersonal and team building skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proven ability to lead, develop, manage and motivate teams and individual direct reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively and contribute to team working
- Proven ability to implement and monitor highly effective and efficient financial controls.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with donor requirements, relevant regulations and legislation.
- Ability to learn Tanzanian rules / requirements for NGOs to operate in line with legislation and TRA requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to ensuring that the finance and administration function works collaboratively with other departments to deliver organisational goals.
- Strong commitment to high standards of service delivery and customer care.
- Must be a Tanzanian national or with legal right to remain and work in Tanzania.
- Sound working knowledge of Windows based software packages, including Sage Accounting systems, spreadsheets, e-mail, the internet etc
- Willingness to learn about deafblindness
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise workloads.
- A positive and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude, in line with the organisation’s values.
- Personal integrity and discretion.
- Knowledge of in country funding of programmes.
- Understanding of Tanzanian rules / requirements for NGOs to operate.
See more about our work here: https://www.senseinternational.org.uk/our-work/tanzania
To apply for the above position, please email your covering letter (maximum 2 pages) and current CV to the Country Director of Tanzania: [email protected] Please include Finance and Administration Officer – TANZANIA in the subject line of your email.
Your covering letter must include:
- Why you are interested in this position
- How you think your experience and skills match the job description
- List your current salary/benefits
- Your day time contact number
- Available start date
Due to the high number of applications we anticipate receiving, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for applications is 10th May 2019 5pm EAT.
Interviews will be held week commencing 27th May 2019 in Dar es Salaam.
Salary: in the region of TZS 2,300,000 per month gross salary, dependent on experience and qualifications.
Sense International is an equal opportunities employer.