Program / Project Management Uganda Central Region
The East Africa Youth Inclusion Program (EAYIP) Agriculture Value Chain Manager (AVCM), under the supervision of the EAYIP Country Program Manager will provide the overall technical leadership and direction for technical approach as related to EAYIP’s value chains.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Energetic, positive, collaborative, flexible, values-oriented and enthusiastic.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Program Effectiveness (50%)
• Accountable for the successful implementation of the value chain approach in the EAYIP project.
• Create and strengthen linkages between EAYIP’s beneficiaries and the private sector.
• Support the development and empowerment of youth participating in hub-based value chains through employment or as direct participants. Working in collaboration with the Social Capital and Cluster Manager, support the replication of existing and development of new hubs for supporting youth.
• Develop monthly, quarterly and annual activity work plans in collaboration with the project team that incorporates interventions and activities to strengthen each value chain specifically for the inclusion of youth.
• Ensure that monthly, quarterly and annual planned targets are achieved.
• Identify value chains and business opportunities with the greatest potential to generate impact for establishing new hubs.
• Identify business opportunities that can help young men and women to start or expand businesses in the selected value chains by the specified time.
• Provide timely support, facilitate and monitor the implementation of youth-focused training programs aimed at improving vocational skills in the identified value chains.
• Provide accurate market information and linkages to service providers to the hub’s management on a monthly basis.
Management and Compliance (30%)
• Accountable for the planning, documentation, and analysis of information and activities that ensure the timely achievement of EAYIP’s outputs and outcomes.
• Prepare annual operating plans and budgets, and provide technical assistance to local cooperatives and partners to properly implement value chain activities.
• On a weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual basis prepare and submit project progress reports in time to the Country Program Manager.
• On a daily basis, collaborate closely with the EAYIP Uganda Country Program Manager in the implementation of value chain activities.
• Develop the capacity of local cooperatives, NGOs and partners to identify and strengthen selected EAYIP value chains to be more youth-inclusive.
• Develop and disseminate hub development tool kits.
• Establish and maintain proactive links with hubs and develop access to markets and linkages to service providers.
• Support formation and registration of youth associations.
• Build the capacity of Hub boards and staff in good governance, group dynamics and leadership.
May perform other duties as assigned by Country program Manager (5%)
• Bachelor’s Degree in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Agribusiness, Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related fields plus five (5) years of successful experience in development work in the private sector in Uganda.
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Agribusiness, Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related fields, plus five (5) years in a mix of economic growth/trade, value chain competitiveness, investment promotion, or agriculture development. Significant experience in building public/private partnerships in the Agricultural sector.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
• Strong business skills, leadership, strategic and innovation skills.
• Fluency in English (knowledge of other languages spoken in Uganda is a plus).
• Demonstrated knowledge of the latest developments in best practices in pro-poor value chain development that reaches women, youth, the poor, and underprivileged.
• Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions and design catalytic activities within value chains (e.g. the concept of quality-based pricing).
• Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategies to provide institutional capacity building to key partner institutions to build a more efficient, competitive, and sustainable dairy industry.
• Knowledge of and experience in setting up cottage industries for processing locally branded dairy products (e.g. cheese, butter, fortified milk and yogurt among others) & other agricultural products for onward supply to niche markets as well as implementing consumption promotion/stimulation strategies in the context of the agricultural sector.
• Experience in providing market information to hubs/cooperatives and linkages to service providers e.g. input dealers, buyers/exporters, etc.
• Experience establishing strategic alliances and joint ventures with local and foreign processors.
• Knowledge of equity financing (e.g. venture capital and/or private equity investing).
• Strong computer literacy, preferably with Microsoft Office Suite.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to individuals diplomatically and tactfully.
• Ability to integrate financial services within a value chain and to foster trust and build a strong relationship between value chain actors and financial service providers.
• Must be courteous, honest and of high integrity, especially in high-pressure situations.
• Proven interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to relate to individuals and groups diplomatically and tactfully.
• Self-starter and self-motivator with the ability to work in a multicultural setting.
• Must be a team player and can execute and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
• Ability to follow directions and independently complete assigned tasks (written or verbal).
• Ability to work a varied schedule to include early mornings, weekends and some evenings.
• Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.