Communication & Advocacy Officer
Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) is an indigenous NGO established in 2011 under nongovernmental organization act No 24 0f 2002. Since 2012, THPS has worked in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Ministry of Health of Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar and President Office, Regional Administration and local government (PORALG) to strengthen health systems for quality service delivery in HIV, TB, Maternal and Child health, Reproductive Health services.
THPS is currently seeking highly experienced, committed and motivated Tanzanians to fill in the following position for its Headquarters office in Dar es Salaam and Regional offices:
POSITION TITLE:Communication & Advocacy Officer
REPORTS TO:Executive Director / Chief Operations Officer
LOCATION: Central Office Dar Es Salaam (with frequent field travel)
OVERALL JOB FUNCTION:
Under the leadership of The Executive Director and Chief Operations Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for establishing and managing relations with media, partners and government representatives, build awareness of THPS mission, and provide strategic communication to support THPS programs.
• Design and Implement THPS’s communication and advocacy strategy
• Ensure effective corporate communication in order to build and maintain the brand, reputation and positive image of THPS all over the country and beyond.
• Work with Program/Project leads to engage communities in message development and pre-testing of Program Communications to ensure the right messages are communicated appropriately to the right target group
• Develop and encourage good working partnerships and linkages with NGOs, government agencies including the Health Education Unit of MoHCDGEC, local institutions to drive the mission of THPS and the project.
• Ensure compliance of activities with project communication strategy by following donor guidelines
• Coordinating communication activities and events of the program, project and partners
• Conducting awareness raising campaigns, events, information dissemination workshops
• Conduct and support regular field visits or for collection of information to be used for documentation purposes (Photography/Video/Audio)
• Compile, document and regularly share updated Program and Project information with key and relevant stakeholders on various platforms
• Participate in donor visits for showcasing project progress and achievements
• Provide support in the compilation and development of publications and other related materials
• Develop newsletters and Weekly Highlight to keep internal and external regularly updated
• Provides leadership in increasing public awareness and education on HIV/AIDS through workshops and all communication channels as outlined in the communication strategy.
• Provides guidance on coordination of THPS’s engagement in public forums, exhibitions and conferences.
• Update information on THPS’s Web page
• Publish THPS Program achievements and other relevant content on Web pages
• Any other adhoc responsibility as assigned by the Executive Director or Chief Operations Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations, Journalism or its equivalent in a communication related discipline
• 3 – 4 years working experience in a Communications/PR or journalism role. Work experience in the public health donor funded projects is an added advantage.
• Experience in HIV & AIDS Communication and Advocacy programs in Tanzania is preferred.
• Excellent journalistic verbal and written skills and ability to write simply for diverse audiences is preferred.
• Knowledge of existing in-country key players of HIV & AIDS-related networks is preferred.
• Excellent skills in Microsoft word, Excel, and outlook. Working knowledge of Adobe Creative (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) are added advantage.
• Be of high integrity and able to maintain confidentiality.
• Proven record to work under minimum supervision and meet deadlines.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter one page maximum and CV four pages maximum to ([email protected]) by December 13th 2019 with a subject line for example: Communication and Advocacy Officer. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women, people with disability and people living with HIV/AIDS are encouraged to apply