Chief Operating Officer
Amani seeks a highly-qualified leader who excels in providing expert leadership to high-performing managers and teams as well as all aspects of internal business operations – including but not limited to high-level financial management, human resources, administration, and legal matters. The COO is a newly created position and will be the right hand to the Executive Director, playing a significant role in: shaping the further professionalism of Amani, ensuring the operational, financial, and HR infrastructure are of the highest quality; creating critical performance accountability measures; and ensuring staff empowerment, leadership development, and continued commitment to our mission. The COO will provide senior management support and operational cohesion across the organization, now located at sites in 3 different districts across the country.
Roles and Responsibilities
Finance, Operations, and IT
• Supervise the creation and management of the organization budget. Provide expert strategic oversight of Amani’s finances, and create complex, organization-wide financial management systems for a growing organization
• Effectively communicate any issues and opportunities related to Finance to the ED and the Board.
• Ensure effective internal controls. Lead external and internal audits. Set up systems to streamline donor grant reporting.
• Logistical management of existing and future Amani Satellite Centers.
• Develop and implement plans for operational efficiencies of systems, processes, and personnel.
• IT and internet management.
• Develop and lead possible new construction projects.
Human Resources, Legal, and Administration
• Oversee Human Resources, including recruitment, development, and retention of high-performing senior officers for the organization.
• Provide effective coaching and staff development to further build the management capacity of internal leaders and their teams and promote a learning culture that supports professional growth.
• Ensuring that Amani complies with all relevant government rules and regulations governing NGO operations in Tanzania.
• Contract management, legal matters, and land- and property management.
• Management of the business elements in the USAID and UKAID programs.
Executive Leadership and Management Support
• Support Finance, HR, and Operations leaders to develop annual plans, including benchmarks, timelines, and the human and financial resources needed to achieve goals, proactively recommending and driving improvements as necessary.
• Public relations and communication with national stakeholders (related to the ‘business side’ of Amani’s operations), including operational relations with local and regional government authorities.
• Close collaboration with the Amani Executive Director, including co-managing Amani’s email correspondence.
• Be an active member of the Amani Senior Management Team.
• Serve as organizational decision-making authority in ED’s absence.
• Help to maintain and build Amani’s professionalism and dedicated/inspired culture.
• Ensure effective internal communications, innovation, and sharing of best business practices across the organization.
Strong candidates will offer a genuine passion for Amani’s mission and a track record of senior financial management and operations management skills and experience in a large (> 20 FTE) organization, preferably in the social-service sector.
Other desired qualifications include:
• Ten or more years of relevant work experience, including at least 5 years in a senior management position in a large for-profit / non-profit organization (>20 FTE).
• Clear record of achievement and high-level expertise in financial management, and managing / developing complex financial management systems.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, change management, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
• An independent, confident leader who is comfortable supporting a deeply committed Executive Director.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders by building trust and effective, genuine relationships. Humor, integrity, charisma, patience, and a natural learning posture.
• Track record of success in working with government agencies at local and national levels.
• Excellent strategic planning and execution skills, including experience developing and implementing operational plans to fulfill a broader vision or mission.
• A results orientation and a commitment to accomplishing concrete outcomes.
• Proven cross-cultural competencies; international exposure being a distinct plus.
• Commitment to Amani’s aims and objectives. Mission-driven.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on, and rapidly changing environment.
• Full fluency in written and spoken English is a requirement. Swahili conversation skills are highly desired.
• Bachelor’s Degree required with an advanced degree in a related field (such as business administration or public administration) preferred.
Amani encourages all qualified candidates to apply, though preference will be given to Tanzanian nationals.
Amani offers the suitable candidate:
• A competitive salary (for East African NGOs) based on qualifications and experience, plus a secondary benefit package.
• A unique opportunity for impact and national leadership, alongside of a top-notch leadership team.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV/resume in English by email only to: [email protected]
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted, and will be requested to present diplomas, certificates, and testimonials. Kindly do not, therefore, send such documents until having been short-listed and invited for an interview.
The position will remain open until filled.